The average woman puts over 500 chemicals per day on her body. It is believed that our skin absorbs 60-70% of any topical products we use. Why not give your makeup bag a makeover and swap them out for their non-toxic counterparts?
Commercial cosmetic brands are filled with harmful chemicals. Chemicals that not only harm our skin, but actually soak into our bodies and cause our system’s harm.
So, what are we putting on our skin? What kind of chemicals are in makeup that we need to be aware of?
Hold on tight. It’s about to get a little scary…
- Nanoparticles: These are the most serious toxic substances in skin care. They are touted as a technological advance but they cause tumors in cells. What is the purpose of this in makeup? It contains very small particles that help give your face that smooth finish.
- Parabens: These are a preservative and typically are on ingredients lists as Propylparaben, methylparaben, ethylparaben, butyparaben. It’s a chemicals that have been used since the 1950’s to prevent bacteria and act as a preservative in deodorants, lotions, lipsticks, shampoos, scrubs, and more. They can mimic estrogen and act as potential hormone (endocrine) system disruptors in the body’s cells. Parabens have been found present in breast tumors and are possibly linked to breast cancer.
- BHA and BHT: Used in moisturizer and makeup as preservatives. Suspected endocrine disruptors, and can cause cancer. Also banned in Europe.
- Talc: A mineral substance made up of mainly magnesium, silicon and oxygen used in a variety of cosmetic and personal care products such as baby powder, body and shower products, lotions, feminine hygiene products, eyeshadow, foundation, lipstick, deodorants and face masks. Some talc may contain the known carcinogen asbestos, therefore it should be avoided in powders and other personal care products.
So then what?
We are all screwed, right? Let’s just give up and not wear anything at all!!! (my first reaction)
There ARE companies out there that produce high quality products without these harmful chemicals. But who are they and how do you find them? One is right under your nose…
Savvy Minerals by Young Living
Young Living is Mostly known for their essential oils, it is often missed that they have a wealth of other products available that carry wellness to new heights.
- Skin care
- Body lotions
- Face serums
- Shampoo & conditioners
- AND our cosmetics – Savvy Minerals
Because these products are infused with essential oils they are free of synthetic fragrances, often a culprit to many with sensitive skin.
Our chemical, gluten and talc free makeup line is changing women’s lives. Many have said their skin cleared within a few week’s of using our makeup. Other’s consistently comment on how natural it looks and feel’s on their skin.
Are you ready to upgrade your makeup bag? Start HERE!