When I entered into my own home business I had no idea the invaluable lessons it would teach me! I knew ‘why’ I wanted to do it but ‘How’ I was going to run this business and ‘what’ I’d need to put into it eluded me.
First, a little about me
Before beginning my business I was stuck in the role as house wife and mother. I felt deprived of a life outside my home and it left me feeling lonely. I wanted so much more than to cook and clean. Waking up to the same tasks every day was anything but exciting. It was draining. I was suck and I didn’t know how to get out or if that was the season I was in right now.
But I could hardly take it anymore! I loved my kids and would do anything for them but I was falling apart and I knew that wasn’t how God intended me to feel as a wife and mother. I had to find a balance. I had to find a way to pour into my depleted self some excitement, some goals and some gosh. darn. fun!
I set out on a journey to find a home based business that would work for me. I ran into ideas I thought would work and they ended up as dead ends. It was frustrating! I was ready, I was willing, I just needed the right opportunity. So I prayed. I prayed hard and when I’d finally given up, God placed it right in front of me.
I knew it was right because the dead ends taught me a little something about what I did and didn’t want in a business. Those dead ends lead me to my break through. Note to self: never give up!
What I learned from being in business for myself is that there is a beautiful, strong, reliant girl within I didn’t know existed. She holds power and strength all her own. I know this because I have fought tooth and nail for every inch of where I am today. I was the only one who could save myself and with the power of God radiating inside me, I did, and continue to do so.
Here is what it’s taught me
- Its taught me that I, Lesly Birkland, have something to say and something to share.
- Its taught me to look at things and situations with a different perspective.
- Its taught me to pour into myself knowledge and wisdom by reading books on all kinds of subjects and topics. (I have learned a great deal from doing just this)
- Its taught me that I don’t need to sit in the shadows, but that I have an opinion. Something worth saying and sharing.
- Its taught me how learning and growing should be part of my daily routine.
- Its taught me balance. Balance in work, balance in family time and what I need to accomplish daily.
- It’s taught me how badly my children need a mother who continues to learn and grow. To set an example for them.
- Its taught me how to pray powerful prayers!!!
- Its taught me how to follow through and know that I don’t have to be perfect. I just have to do.
- Its taught me that there is so much more to life than I dreamed and that it is IN FACT obtainable!
- Its helped show me what I really want in life and that I can obtain it through consistency, shear will and never giving up.
- Its taught me to play to my strengths and talents. Its also shown me what they are…
- Its taught me to look deep within myself and find who God has created me to be and you know what… she’s a beautiful person 😉
- Its taught me to walk in confidence!
- Its taught me to view others with love. Not to bring anyone down but to help encourage and build them up.
- Its taught me that I need to balance my time between my children and what I need to work on for myself. In doing so I’ve become more intentional in my time with them. I don’t feel drained from pouring out. I take time to pour into me and I’ve learned so very much about myself and how to teach and guide my children in the process.
- I am more focused, my perspective has changed. I have a deeper love and appreciation for life and those around me.
- Its taught me to put my phone down and chase the dreams.
- Its taught me to be more intentional with my time and value it more.
- When I work with purpose and I get my goals for the week done I rest in the knowledge that I have done something to grow personally, spiritually and mentally. – I rest in that.
This is how much I’ve grown in only 8 months! That’s when I started this business. I am not where I want to be yet but I look back on how far I have come and I know someday I will get there!
I am not knee deep in dishes and laundry anymore. I have purpose and it’s blessing my family in ways I never thought possible – like when I earned my first $200.00 check a month after starting this business. My family is what I am doing this for. My family and my sanity which, as you know, go hand in hand 😉
My biggest lesson learned is that I am no longer afraid of who I am. I no longer question if I can do this, if it will happen for me or if God made a mistake putting me in this role. I am strong, I have a part to play in the grand scheme of this world and I may step shakily into that position but I take that step of faith knowing full well God has it all worked out.
So here’s the question
What do you want out of life? Who are you? How do you plan to learn and grow into the person you want to be? How do you plan to get there? Is it just a dream and a wish, OR, is there a plan and a goal? Only you can decide. It can be scary knowing no one else can do this for you. There is also a strength and a power that grows when you begin doing that which you never thought you would or even could. A strength and power no one can take away from you. A confidence that only grows as you step into the role you were meant to play. You are enough. You are equipped. You can. You will. Now grow! Walk in the belief and see where it takes you!
If you interested in learning more about my home business with Young Living Essential Oils you are more than welcome to contact me HERE and follow me on my Facebook and Instagram accounts. If you are ready to take the leap than go HERE to fill out an application to work directly with me!